Beene Garter, A Doeren Mayhew Firm uses an electronic delivery system for tax returns called SafeSend Returns. SafeSend Returns allows qualifying clients to review their tax return and sign their e-file authorization form(s) online. Then, SafeSend Returns automatically and securely sends the form(s) back to Beene Garter.
The process is easy. Here’s how it works:
1. You’ll receive an email from Beene Garter, A Doeren Mayhew Firm with a from address of email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. The email will contain a safe link for you to access your tax return.
3. After clicking on the link, you’ll be asked to enter the last four digits of your Social Security number to review your return.
4. SafeSend will email you an access code to further verify your identity. Check your spam or junk folders if you don’t see it in your inbox. You must enter the code within 10 minutes of receipt. If you don’t enter the code within 10 minutes, you can request another.
5. When you’re ready to sign your e-file authorization form(s), you’ll be asked three simple questions to verify your identity.
6. Once you’ve signed the e-file authorization form(s), your Beene Garter, A Doeren Mayhew Firm professional will be notified and will complete the rest of the e-filing process.
Check out SafeSend Returns’ Client Experience article to view the process from beginning to end. Or, watch this helpful video.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please click on the following titles to expand each section and view our answers to frequently asked questions.
Where do the identity verification questions come from? What if I don’t remember the answer?
The questions SafeSend Returns ask are knowledge-based questions pulled from government and credit sources.
You may be asked where you lived in a given year, when you bought your car or home, etc. If you don’t remember the answers to the questions or answer incorrectly, you won’t be able to sign your e-file authorization form(s) electronically. If you run into this situation, please contact us.
Is it safe to enter my Social Security number?
Yes. SafeSend is a secure platform for viewing and signing your e-file authorization form(s).
Look for HTTPS:// at the beginning of the site URL and a locked padlock symbol in your browser’s URL bar to confirm you’re using a secure site.
Will this work on any internet-connected device? Does SafeSend Returns offer an app for my smartphone?
You can complete this process on any computer, smartphone, or tablet via a web browser.
Currently, there’s no SafeSend Returns app.
Will I receive a notification when my return is ready for signing?
Yes! Email notifications regarding your return will come from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I know if I qualify to review my return and electronically sign my e-file authorization form(s) via SafeSend Returns?
You can use SafeSend Returns if all portions of your tax return qualify for e-filing, you currently access your tax return through Beene Garter’s portal, and you’ve given us a valid email address.
How is this different from e-filing?
SafeSend Returns allows you to sign your e-file authorization form(s) electronically, but it won’t submit your return to the IRS.
Once signed, Beene Garter is automatically notified, and your tax professional will complete the filing process for you, including submission to the IRS.
My spouse and I file our return jointly – how can we both sign the e-file authorization form(s)?
- If both spouses have an email address on file, each will receive an email with a link to view the return, answer identity verification questions, and sign the e-file authorization form(s).
- If only one spouse has an email address on file, that spouse will first receive the link with identity verification questions specific to him/her.
- He/she will sign the e-file authorization form(s) then enter an email address for the second spouse.
- The second spouse will receive the email link with identity verification questions specific to him/her and sign the form(s).
- If a couple shares an email address, you’ll receive an email with identity verification questions specific to one spouse.
- After he/she answers the identity verification questions and signs the e-file authorization form(s), he/she can enter the shared email address again.
- A new link will send to the shared email address with identity verification questions specific to the second spouse/signer. He/she will answer the identity verification questions, then sign the form(s).
Can I set up reminders for my quarterly estimated payments?
If estimated payments are included in your review copy, you’ll automatically receive an email reminder seven days before your payment is due.
If you choose to turn off email notifications, you won’t receive reminders for the remainder of the tax year.
Will I have the option to download and print my return for my records?
After signing my e-file authorization form(s), will I receive confirmation that it successfully sent to Beene Garter?
Yes. Once you sign your e-file authorization form(s), you’ll receive an email stating it was successful.
The email will also include a link to download a copy of your tax return for your records.
How do I track my return?
Within 24 hours of Beene Garter e-filing your return, you’ll be able to track the status of your return here.
When is the deadline to sign my e-file authorization form(s) via SafeSend Returns?
The deadline to sign your e-file authorization form(s) is April 14.
What if I don’t receive an email with my access code?
Check your spam or junk email folders. If you don’t enter the code within the 10-minute time limit, request another.
I have questions. Who do I contact?
Beene Garter! Please use the contact form below and we’ll follow up with you. You can also contact your Beene Garter professional at 616.235.5200.