An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is used to identify a business entity. It’s also referred to as a Federal Tax Identification Number. There are a few qualifications that determine if you need an EIN from the IRS:
- If you operate your business as a corporation or partnership
- If you file reports for employment taxes, excise tax, or alcohol, tobacco and firearms
- If you have one or more employees
- If you have a self-employed retirement plan
- If you operate as any of several other organizations
Obtaining an EIN is quick and simple. Go to the IRS’ website and apply for the EIN. You’ll receive your EIN upon validation of your answers. Then, you can download and print your confirmation notice.
Have questions about EINs? Let’s talk!