How To Request A Filing Extension

Image of young woman filing extension for her taxes on a tablet

Can’t finish or file your federal income tax return by the April deadline? There’s still time to get an automatic six-month extension.

There are four ways to get an extension:

1. File a paper copy of Form 4868 with the IRS and enclose your payment of estimated tax due.

2. File for an extension electronically using the IRS e-file system on your computer.

3. Using IRS Direct Pay, you can pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate the payment is for an extension.

4. Have your tax preparer e-file for an extension on your behalf.


Even if you file for an extension, you’re still required to pay any taxes you owe by the April filing deadline. An extension gives you more time to file your tax return, not more time to pay the taxes you owe.

You’ll be charged interest on any taxes you owe and don’t pay by the filing deadline. If you’re unable to pay on time, contact the IRS to set up a payment agreement.

Special extension rules apply to members of the military serving in combat zones and to others who live outside the U.S.


Have questions about filing an extension? Let’s talk!